One of the many interesting things I get to witness in my world is the daily goodbye moment between child and parent. And as with most moments of my day, goodbyes vary child to child. Ranging from adorable and sweet to preposterous and challenging.
Some children have a specific list of requirements (dare I say, demands) that must be met before their parent leaves. A kiss, hug and high five. A story in the I love you chair. A job together. A picture together. Any number between five and fifteen "mommy loves," "sister loves" before the child is peeled and handed off for "teacher loves." Or "Wait, watch me [insert any number of activities...ride the bike, play this toy etc.]" And the ramifications of missing or messing with these goodbye regulations could very well be detrimental to the child's day. Or so the child thinks.
A goodbye can serve as a joyous, nonchalant, or even loving moment. But in the worst case scenario, they can be downright annoying and disruptive. Yes, this is of course the lingerers. Parents who, especially when their child is having a challenging or difficult goodbye, choose to stay in the admirable belief that if they just stay for one more minute their kid will feel better (I've never seen this work). It is these goodbyes that pull me away from circle, outside time or whatever and require me to pry your crying child off your body, assuring you that they will be fine once you leave (which they always are).
Thankfully, in my favorite goodbye scenario, it is neither annoying or disruptive but rather sweet and, more importantly, makes me laugh every time. The little girl and her mother share a standard hug, kiss, I love you see you this afternoon and then the gate closes. This four year old, smiles a plenty, stands by the closed gate. She glances around the playground to see if anyone is watching (she rarely catches me, but I always am) and then peers through the crack between the gate and stone wall making eye contact with her mother on the other side. Once established, she turns around, bends over and wiggles her butt around laughing and giggling like, well, like a four year girl. And though I've never been on the other side to witness I know her mother is doing the same thing. After shaking what her mother gave her, she runs off, smiling and ready for the day.
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So. Cute.
ReplyDelete