Tuesday, March 2, 2010

half-way there.

Sometimes, okay most of the time, I feel like an almost adult. It usually sneaks up on me while I'm minding my own business thinking I've got it all covered. I've got the food and shelter situation taken care of, bills are paid, money in the bank. And then, bam. My pseudo adulthood glares me in the face.

1. I don't own scotch tape. I wrapped all my Christmas gifts with stickers that said things like, Good job! Teriffic! Way to go!

2. I have no saran wrap or tin foil. So clearly saving food is a MacGyver like experience, recycling plastic packaging from frozen burritos to contain my food (and keeping it together with-what else-a shamrock sticker.)

3. I'm on the verge on sickness and unlike any sane human being, who would in their right mind be sleeping right now, here I am.

4. I can't seem to clean up after myself. Unless company is coming, shoes are strewn about the living room floor, there may be a spoon on the coffee table (left over from the ice cream I ate from the box after lunch), and whatever the cat has knocked down is still sitting on the floor.

5. Pretty much anytime someone asks me what high school I just graduated from I feel it. Though no fault of my own, my youthful appearance is a constant reminder. And if you tell me how much I'll enjoy it when I'm older, I may just pinch you.

6. I find myself most at ease with the older set. I continuously make friendships with people who legitimately have their shit together. Granted, they've got somewhere between ten, twenty, thirty years on me to get this shit done, but still. It makes me wish for a more settled existence.

7. Back to the cleaning nonsense. Is there some sort of instinct that goes off in adulthood, alerting you to the fact that the refrigerator should be cleaned out, dishes certainly should not be piled so high in the sink, one should be able to see the floor of the closet? Just for the sake of cleanliness? I'm still waiting for that one to kick in.

8. On the flip side of the hanging with the elderly (I kid), I spend the rest of my time with those under the age of five. These young ones who have no filter in speaking comfortably tell me that I'm not old enough to do things. Which is funny considering the source.

9. I travel like a wandering laundry gypsy. Carrying my basket to and fro to whoever will so kindly let me use their laundry facilities free of charge.

10. I do not feel like the average twenty two year old. My interests don't often coincide with those of my peers, so it sometimes feels like being stuck in the wrong body.

Despite it all, this quasi-adulthood is has its advantages. And twenty two has been a very (very) good year to me. But really, let's get the show on the road please.

2 comments:

  1. Hrm... these all seem like proof that you are a grown up.

    ;.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. as a member of the elderly set - I think you're more grown up than most all grown ups...just for the record.

    ReplyDelete