Tuesday, February 16, 2010

made for walkin'

On a good day, I walk twenty blocks to and fro between work and home. Here’s why:

1. I like to listen to music, loud. This I will admit, in a car, sometimes encourages car dancing which may or may not be safe for those on the road around me. While walking, the most reckless thing I’ve got going on is having someone I know see me dancing down the street. Or worse, hearing me sing along. Embarrassing but safe.

2. It eases my liberal guilt. I live five blocks away, driving really doesn’t seem the wisest way to live the spare the air mentality.

3. I feel self-reliant. Taking matters into my own hands, or feet as the situation so inclines.

4. I like the way it feels. Physically that is. It’s a really nice reminder that I have legs. And reminds me how grateful I am to know that my legs have the power to get me from here to there.

5. It makes bad mornings better. It makes good mornings better.

6. It’s ten minute increments of nature therapy. Trees and flowers and air have a pleasant way of distracting me from the things I should be distracted from.

7. I get to people watch. I suppose one can do this whilst driving, too. But again I’ll bring up the safety aspect. I see those in their cars, other bikers, fellow pedestrians, people in their yards, people in their houses (yeah, your blinds are open). I get to notice things. The particular smell that always emanates from the house on the corner. The way the owners, I can only assume, of one house so carefully place pink flowers on either sides of their front steps and handrails.

8. I remember the fun stuff from being a kid. Going out of my way to step on that perfectly crisp, satisfyingly crunchy leaf. Stepping in the biggest puddle in my pink polka dot rain boots. Avoiding cracks, protecting my dear mother’s back. Counting my steps.

9. It’s just long enough to be really picky about my song selection. I get in three songs, maybe four, at best, if they’re short. One if it’s a live Tori. But mostly I get in the habit of choosing just one song, and listening to it on repeat all the way there and back. One day (okay actually it was almost an entire week) it was Livin’ for the City, by my Stevie, of course. Or perhaps a little Streisand if I’m feeling musically inclined. On those days, the dancing and accidental singing are damn near uncontrollable. Today it was Jenny Lewis and The Watson Twins rockin’ The Big Guns repetitiously.

10. It’s freeing. And it’s free.

1 comment:

  1. All so true. I love walking where I'm going! And I think today I'll enjoy it a little more with all of these reminders about why it's so great :.)

    ReplyDelete