Saturday, January 2, 2010

my ideal block

The highest honor my family bestows on people, celebrity or otherwise, is to decree, "They can live on my block."

In an ideal world we could choose our neighbors. Surrounding ourselves with people loving, inspirational, funny, beautiful, and kind. And this list would be my neighbors. A cul de sac of good writers, comedians, actors, musicians.

1. Meryl Streep. She seems like the realest celebrity in existence. Like, she'd kick of her shoes and curl up on the couch with a cozy blanket and tell me how she's managed to create a life she loves so much.

2. The cast of the Office. Yes. All of them. Well, okay I'll limit it. Steve Carell, Jenna Fischer, John Krasinski, Angela Kinsey. I don't even care if they step out of character. I like the real thems too.

3. Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. And, yes, they must be roommates. Space is tight in this ideal world. I think these two would throw a nice barbecue, wearing politically witty aprons no less.

4. Paul Rudd. He's handsome. And funny.

5. Tori Amos. I mean, we're already best friends in real life. But this would make it way easier for me to be her kid's nanny.

6. Augusten Burroughs. As our neighbors scuttle off to work near and far, we would sit together on Tuesday mornings and talk over a pancake breakfast, about writing and childhoods and life.

7. Idina Menzel. It would be unfortunate for her because I would seriously make her sing every time we passed each other on the street. It might get old. For her.

8. Steve Martin. He could come to the game night with Meryl and my parents. He would make my dad laugh all night. Which would make me happy and laugh.

9. Lauren Graham. She is the most awkward person I have ever seen interviewed. Which makes it clear to me that we will be the best of friends.

10. Ellen. Two words. Dance party.

I like this world. Borrowing a cup of sugar from Meryl. Politely asking Tori to turn her music up. Looking through my kitchen window, waving at Steve as he pulls out of his driveway. Throwing Augusten's dog's toy over the fence in my backyard. Laughing with Ellen when our mail gets mixed up. Wouldn't it be nice.

4 comments:

  1. Have you seen Jenna Fischer's interview on The Bonnie Hunt Show? You should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already watched it. I'm a pretty dedicated obsessive fan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, where's felicity huffman? Though, I can't see anyone who should come off of your list, so it should just be a list of 11 people, not 10.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny that you mention it. She and Bill were originally on. They got kicked off for the Office house.

    ReplyDelete