Saturday, January 16, 2010

ten words

I'm pretty sure it goes with the English major territory to be a lover of words. Or maybe it comes with being related to my mother. Whatever the reason, I love words. I love reading them. I love writing them. I love saying them. I love hearing them. Here are some of them that strike my fancy.

1. Persnickety. Word of the moment. First and foremost, it's a delight to say. And it's just a fun way to describe someone.

2. Jovial. Favorite word circa sixth grade. This is the first word I ever heard and thought, that's my favorite word. I like the idea of a jovial disposition.

3. Quixotic. I just realized I should have taught the kids this one last week for q. I wanna hear a three year old tell me that they're feeling particularly quixotic one day.

4. Fuck. Seriously. There's no more satisfying a swear out there.

5. Weird. I actually don't like to say this one any more than any other word, but it's one of my favorite words to sign. I guess it's fun to say if you drag it out.

6. Whimsical. This was my favorite word junior year. I thought this word was fairies and gauzy dresses, glitter and flb. I named a character in a story Whimsy once because of it.

7. Thank you. I like hearing it, reading it, saying it. Thinking it, too. What nicer words are there.

8. Disconcerting. I don't know why I like this one. But I do.

9. Frank. As in, to be quite frank. Frankly works too. It works best in the frankly, my dear...context. But other times too. It also works anytime you're playing with kids and naming things, Frank always gets a laugh. It's a funny name.

10. Love love love love love love love. In all forms. Loved. Loving. Lovable. Lovely. Loveliest. Lovebug. Bug of love. For the love of. l-o-v-e, love.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I like Whimsy as a name!

    I haven't given this much thought, but I know that if I made a top ten list of words, 'meander' would be on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What, pocket isn't on the list? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand felicity huffman just said quixotic on sports night.


    i'm just sayin.


    (sidenote - can you tell I just figured out how to post comments on here?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. can you tell i get my words from tv shows? just wait, in a couple episodes felicity gets called persnickety.

    ReplyDelete