Tuesday, August 18, 2009

so what?

Amanda came home last night after seeing post grad. She began doing her dissection of the plot, simultaneously revealing to me her disappointment in the movie's ending. [Sabrina, disclaimer, here's your spoiler alert. Whatever, it's no ending that you wouldn't expect from such a film.] Anyway, as Amanda is ranting about the ultimately anti-feminist ending of the film wherein title character gives up her ideal career to run across country to be with her fella. But the movie isn't the point, the point is when she was telling me this, a thought ran through my mind that I never thought would pass through the gray matter between mine ears.

"So what? If she loves him, so what?"

I mean, yeah, these thoughts were quickly followed by thinkings like, "Hollywood, get a new plot." or "Couldn't the fella move to the girl for the happily ever after?" But most alarming, or rather thought provoking, was my initial thought.

This just wasn't a normal thought for Rachel damn-the-man Libby. But I tell you this love stuff really messes with one's mind. Because I literally thought, well if she loves him and wants to move across the country to be with him, well then more power to her. (Of course, I don't feel good about this being presented as the only option to the bubble gum minds of teenage girls, but really, that's a different issue.) I mean, doesn't there have to come a point where someone becomes more important than a job or a place or whathaveyou. It seems a different sort of empowerment. Even though she's giving up her job, she is still in control of her own fate and personal happiness. No one's forcing her to make such a choice. Though I suppose the argument stands that said decision is based on hundreds of years of male oppression, reinforced by the movies and television of today such as post grad itself. Who knows.

Now, clearly, if Daniel up and moved to Scranton, Pennsylvania (first random city that came to mind, no idea why) would I give up my job of current perfection? I don't know. But it's weird to be at a point in my life where I wouldn't question myself if I did.

1 comment: